Friday, April 04, 2003

I finally did it - I went for an interview at Sheraton for the post of a Public Relations Assistant for the new up and coming Westin Kuala Lumpur. I arrived at 9.05am and there were already 100+ persons in front of me. I calmly walked to the make-shift counter and the man asked me, "Which post are you applying for, Miss?" To which I replied, "PR asst," and he directed me to the end of the room/corridor. When I walked past him, I heard a woman mutter, "Wah, so many applying for this post." So MANY? How MANY? I had to calm my panic demons in me and walked a looong way to the end of the room where I signed myself in. There was 1 empty seat left. I took it. Sat next to a malay man who was appying for finance exec (so I peeked) and trying not to let my board knock against his - there weren't mush room coz there were so many people and the chairs were crammed together. So I waited and waited and waited. My name was finally called and I followed this nice woman into the ballroom and proceeded to wait again for my turn to be interviewed. My turn came, a few questions were asked and I was redirected to another interviewer. So I followed another nice woman to the next room and waited again. Then after half an hour it was finally my turn. I walked confidently to the table and shook hands with the interviewer - a perfectly coiffed woman. She asked this and that and then a little more of that, and then it was "Okay, everything looks good. I wish I can talk more but I have others to interview. Thank you for coming." All this in 5 minutes. Sigh.... that was it. The interview I was waiting a whole week for. By the time I got out it was 11.30am and the hotel was FULL of interviewees; so much so that some even sat outside the lobby so that they have space to fill in their forms. Sigh... I'm crossing my fingers... *praying*

Pei Ching called me just now to chat and to tell me she's moving to UK in June! She just got back from a month in UK with Steven and she found a job there - actually two jobs. Arrghhh! I am happy for her and this is what she's been wanting for ages but on the other hand, I'm jobless still and I feel sooo freaking useless. She got a job IN THE UK in a month and I've been scouring for jobs for two months now. This is what it feels like to be totally incompetent, totally useless in one's destiny. The only good that came out of my two months sitting at home eating and getting fat was that the chance to organize my cupboard which I've not done since Australia. I threw out a lot of old stuff...even stuff I carted back from Perth.. which leads to the question in my head, "Why did you bring these back you moron if you are going to just throw it away?!" Yeah a moron that is me at the moment.

I'm pretty much in the black pit now. Let at least one of my interviewers throw down a ladder please! But then I should be all heroic and stuff and claw my way out of that pit... hmmm....

No comments: