Sunday, April 27, 2003

Chilling Falls hiking excursion

I ache, I bled, and I�m emanating heat like a furnace. But it was all worth it. My muscles are like strained violin strings screeching with every draw, I just spent 2 hours under my sister�s needle while she dug out two very tiny splinters lodged vertically in my thumb, and I now resemble a boiled lobster with a swimsuit imprint what with the sunburns on my face, body and limbs. But all this pales in comparison to the time spent at the waterfall.

Love our heritage, our rainforests

I slept at 3am, I woke up at 6am. Got ready, boiled sausages for the trip and sis sent me to the Sentral LRT Station to await my pick up � Wei Li and Joyce. We were the first to reach the Sungai Buloh Jejantas Restaurants. Had brekkie and waited for the rest of the group to come. Finally everybody was here (there were 22 of us) and we set off at 8.50am. Drove about an hour plus before our entourage reached Kubu Bharu a sleepy little town that looks very much like the Terengganu of Old. We passed the Selangor Dam project and it looks horrible. The hills were terraced and bare of any greenery. The deep gouges in the earth looks like open wounds that will never scab over until a long time later. Our unique ecosystem dug and discarded like wet kindling.

After that distressing panorama, we pulled over into a natural rest area and parked. We were so excited. Our organizer for this trip was Wei Li and he issued some warnings about safety, and an advise from Tom the El-Presidente was to hike at our own pace so that we will enjoy this experience. And then we were off single file, hiking determinedly into the well-worn jungle path. The path snakes deep into the jungle with dense foliage on either side and the common fern extended its fragile twigs lightly brushing against us as we advanced; and then there were the tougher twigs that scratched and smacked us in the face and legs as well. Wei Li was the guide, with Andrew and Vijay in the middle, with Tom and Mr. Ragu bringing up the rear. They were most gentlemanly as the rest of us were girls. Some of us were chatting amiably with another, while some were quiet and concentrating on their steps, while others were plain absorbed by the familiar smell and sound of the jungle and fresh water. Even at a distant, the smell of fresh water was unmistakably clear.

Christening my sandals

The hike was easy at first with us crossing a few chilly riverbeds. Thank goodness, my new sandals were christened with the first dip into clear cold waters of the mountains, instead of muddy brackish puddles which we happened along later on. The currents on the knee high water were swift, hinting briefly at the real strength of the falls. It was a delight to be submerged if only briefly in such cool liquid. As we advanced, the sounds of the jungle changed subtly from bird sounds to babbling brooks and finally to the faint roar of the waterfalls. I was pretty confident of my ability to keep to my easy pace, and crossing rivers were fun for me � which prompted Vijay to remarked, �Ahh, you� macho wan, no need to help� when it came to my turn crossing the river with the water level at butt level and slippery ankle-turning rocks all around. (The guys were lined along the river path to help the girls in their crossings.) He got a hard slap on his forearm from me, and a glare after he repeated to others what he had said and they all laughed. Admittedly I was a little chagrined. *sigh* After the last river, we came upon a steep incline criss-crossed with a network of thick roots extending all the way up. This added bonus was a great help, and the path already well trodden, was a natural ladder/ up to paradise. But one needs stamina to be able to keep a constant pace upwards. Half way through, my sails were at half-mast. By the time I topped that personal challenged, I felt like blood was ready to pop from my ears. I was all ready to reach for my ventolin, but it was too bothersome to stop and dig for it, so I continued this time down � what goes up must come down. After a while, I had to take a breather and several swigs from my Tops� 1.5 litre Distilled Water bottle. I was so concerned with my poor unfit state � cut - I cannot describe the state others were in, as I would not dare to presume that they are as unfit as me, but I can say that they looked pretty puffy too. =P � resume- that I was not prepared for my first view of the waterfall. One word: Majestic. Two words: Majestically breath-taking. One whole sentence: Majestically breath-taking as well as awe inspiring, coupled with fear of such raw power harnessed� for now. All I could think was that, �Lord, Thy wonders are truly perfect.� The waterfall was not particularly huge or extremely high, but the sheer force of the waters roaring down polished rock faces was something to reckon with. I reckon it is not the sight as it is the effort it took that made me appreciate the waterfall so much. The roar of the waterfall was predominantly the only sound we could hear. There were no bird sounds or hornbills as I hoped, as it was already noon.

The Giant Dipping

After that inspiring view, it felt great to be there and it was worth the steep climb. We all clambered down the last remaining steep and muddy embankment to clamber up onto sun-baked rocks and plunged our legs into the chilly waters as we waited for the rest to catch up. Again the line was formed and girls were passed from one guy to the next to the other side, our final destination. Dumping our heavy bags on dry rocks, most of us plunked down into the cold gushing water after taking off our shoes. It was a great feeling. We are but several entities sharing space with this fluidic oneness that pulsed with life around us, not as in fishes or animal life, but the life force of the water itself.

All those adrenaline pumping activity created an appetite in all of us, yet curiously, not much food was consumed. Food was nibbled and munched on instead. There were huge rocks and not so huge rocks, so we found natural seats and let the water massage our backs. It was very invigorating. It was a great day. We went dipping in the deep cold greenish end where the water falls down into a bowl. It was amazing. We just sat around in the cold water talking to people we know and people we hope to get to know.

...To be continued as I'm barely able to prop my eyelids up with toothpicks...

...continued the next morning...

Fun ensues

We floated around, we had water fights, I skipped stones, we taught others to float in the turbulent waters, and we snapped happy pictures for the TJJ Album. I wish I could describe what everyone did and say but it is beyond my senses to reach out like that. After a while the boisterous nature of it all just sort of ebbed away with the ripples and in its place was quiet sense of appreciation for the wonders of nature, God�s creations. This was then how I came to be sunburned thoroughly. I found a shallow place among the rocks and braced myself against the swift flow of water and just laid back to enjoy the sun, water and rocks. I must have dozed a little as I suddenly realised my facial skin was tight. �Oh oh, darn darn darn,� and I quickly got up and went for a dip at the deep end. Vijay, Evelyn, Tom and Shani was there already, so I joined them. It was a relief to submerge my whole self into the cold water as it took the sting of dryness away for a while. After that Vijay and I got to talking and goofing around. Pretty soon it was time to go back. How sad. I wanted to stay there forever.

Packing up

El Presidente inclined his head in a silent order and we all started packing up. It was truly heart rending to leave. Tom once told us that spirits likes to flock to waterfalls for the sheer energy the falls generates and how it reenergize them. This is understandable as the falls do create a positive energy all around.

We made sure nothing but footprints were left behind as we cleared the picnic site. Everything was kept and packed back into our bags and we clambered up the steep bank again. I took a last look at the falls and I was struck at how fragile we truly are. A mesmerizing look down into the gorge of churning foamy water of the second level waterfall was enough to remind me of my humanity. The drop was at least five stories high and death is eminent if a fall occurred. I tore my gaze away and continued onwards and upwards. Then I grabbed hold of a sapling and came away with two puncture wounds. The two little spinters. I could not get them out as I could not see them, but I felt them digging sharply into my flesh. I waited for Tom to reach me and he tried to help me but to no avail. He asked if it hurt, and I shook my head. It was more irritating that painful. So we continued. I felt silly to even bother others about this stupid injury.

The Ugly Swans� last dip (song)

We came to the network of roots again and this time going down was easier as we didn�t have to work against gravity. Tom was behind me and he was bounding down those steps! He seemed like a mountain goat the way he was traipsing down so easily! But then he used to the terrain and the conditions. The group came upon the second last river and broke into two. Wei Li, leading the girls went ahead. But Tom�s group comprising of Shani, Mr Ragu, Vijay and himself stayed behind for a last dip in the cold waters. I wanted to stay behind but felt I didn�t have the right to join their happy foursome. So I continued, but my indecision left a gap in distance between the front group and I. I walked on, feeling increasingly lonely as the minutes ticked by. I contemplated staying put until the back group reaches me, so I slowed down. Finally I heard twigs snapping and heavy footfalls. It was Andrew. I felt a tiny spurt of relief. So we continued on with companionable silence. Finally we caught up with the front group. After a while we came upon the last river and I was sad and reluctant to leave. So I asked to stay behind at the river for Tom�s group. Wei Li nodded; Winnie and Estella opted to stay behind with me. We sat down on rocks and dipped our feet into the water, talking while we waited for the last group. We waited for 20 minutes. Then Mr Ragu popped into view, followed by Tom, Shani then Vijay. They were still dripping with water. Tom suggested we all take a last dip. We agreed and promptly waded into the water. It was cool, just that small group as we sat in water chatting. We were conscious of the rest of the group waiting for us. So we gave ourselves another 30 seconds to enjoy the cold water. It was worth it.

I trudged back to the car with a heavy heart. I wonder when I will be back again. After that two cars decided to go to Rawang for chicken chop, and the other four cars decided to go home. Wei Li wanted to go back, but I wanted to go so I piled into Irfan�s car together with Vijay, Firdaus, Irfan and Eric. The other was Andrew�s car with Estella, Winnie, Elaine, and Yoke Fun. The other four cars honked their goodbyes and the group was separated, for now.

Greasy food in Rawang

Brunch at Rawang turned out to be at the mamak with greasy mee goreng. The chicken chop place was closed� it is Sunday after all. It was most frustrating for me coz my food didn�t arrive until all others had finished and after several reminders from Vijay. Terrible service. I saw plates and plates of mee goreng going passed my table and delivered to others who came after me. It was irritating. They also forgot my drink regardless I ordered together with the others. Must be my invisible day or something. Blech. Later, Irfan and Firdaus dropped Vijay and Eric down at the Taman Jaya station and sent me home. It was very nice of them too.

The torture starts

I got home and Lee Hoon exclaimed, �You are so black!� *grin* Yeah I was indeed. I was so sunburned. I unpacked and dumped my clothes in the buckets to be washed. And then there is the little matter of my splinters. I decided to get my splinters out before I bathed. Hah, bad choice. I didn�t get to bathe until two hours later. Sitting there under the needle was grunty at least and OUCHIE at most. Then my housemate came to help with a sharper needle. Together, they hunched over my thumb and made a deep hole and literally dug out the splinters. The fact that it was lodged vertically down didn�t give them much leeway to flick the brittle flints out. It broke twice, and each time going a little deeper. Sigh. Those little fragments are like chilli padi. Not in spiciness but in effectiveness. They may be small, but they dole out pain in spades. Vijay couldn�t believe I had left it so long to get them tended. He was like, �You mean to tell me you hiked all the way back with them?� What can I say? *shrug* Well better to hurt than to bother people. Later after my cold shower, I slathered my face and body with a liberal layer of cooling moisturiser. Ahh� the relief. Then I went online to blog about this and couldn�t even finish it. Then I conked out. It was a fitful night, I couldn�t sleep much as pain was everywhere. So I slept like the dead � straight and unmoving with my hands clasped on my tummy. Sigh. But the trip was worth all this inconveniences any time�. Plus the soles of my feet are as smooth as a baby�s bottom now. ^_^

No comments: