Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Missing out on� Life?

I�m feeling glum. Zona and Lydia went to watch Black Orpheus at HELP Institute without me. I was looking forward to it but I can�t go. Hopefully I�ll be able to get it on VCD/DVD soon. Will have to keep an eye out for it. Nothing is better than watching a romantic tragedy to make one all introspective and stuff, which I�ve been doing a lot lately. Adding more on will make my life just peachy. Gawd, I hate being sick.

Black Orpheus
Brazil-France-Italy, 1959, 106 min, dir by Marcel Camus
Transposing the ancient Greek myth (of Orpheus traveling to the underworld to bring back his beloved Eurydice) to modern day Rio de Janeiro during Carnival time, this bitter-sweet romantic tragedy has charmed audiences worldwide with its beauty, colour and above all its convulsive, infectious bossa nova music. A brilliant piece of filmmaking. Winner of the Best Foreign Film Oscar and the Golden Palm at Cannes.

Anyway, I was suppose to go but I�m still coughing like crazy to be able to be out in public what with the SARS thing going on. I�m liable to be stoned to death like that poor soul in China who coughed in public. It is amazing how fear is able to wipe out rationality in a snap. Snap is the operative word here. I can�t imagine how it would feel like to be the victim in the face of humanity�s terror. I�ve been suffering with this coughy phlegmy thing for 9 days now and finally I�m getting better. But I gotta put credit where credit is due and it is not on my shoulders. I cheated. I went to see the doctor on Saturday and she gave me puriton and bisolvar (I have no idea what this one is as I can�t read that horrible writing!) and some sort of cough medicine with ventolin mixed in. The Ventolin is helping me curb my asthmatic wheezing, but the cough medicine is making me cough non-stop. So many people have been nagging me to go see a doc, and in the end I must admit that it was Chuo Ren who got through to me�by scaring me! He diagnosed me over chat and then berated me for not doing something about it. He said I definitely had a bacterial infection. Then he said �You don't want it to be a strep throat and end up not treating it,� and that made me think. So I went to the doctor the next day and thank goodness it wasn�t anything bad. Lee Hoon couldn�t believe it took somebody on the other side of the world to convince me to go see the doctor. =P She muttered something about stubborn and bullheaded, dunno�go figure. Hee hee�

Chuo Ren is a childhood and family friend. He is studying medicine in Canada now and he�s a great guy. I think he�ll probably settle down in Canada with his girlfriend. I miss the guy. He used to be one of my closest friend but we sorta went our own way and sorta lost touch a few years back. Plus he is super busy with his studies and all now but we still chat online from time to time. *shrug* People come in and out of your life for a reason. Wonder what his is� or rather mine in others...

No comments: