Wednesday, May 14, 2003

Freedom has never been so conspicuous

Went to watch One Life & Two Trails at HELP with Zona today. It is a Venezuelan film that is part of The 2nd Ibero Film Fest held at HELP Institute. Since I miss out on yesterday�s Black Orpheus, thought I should at least catch this one being the last day and all. I was trying so hard not to cough. The compulsion to cough was so bad at one time that I had to breathe past the phlegm and swallow whatever extra saliva I had. Zona heard me swallow. Sheesh� thankfully there were others who were coughing as well. But I still felt like I was in the �sound�light. *_*

One Life & Two Trails (Una Vida y Dos Mandados)
Venezuela, 1996, 100 min.; dir. by Alberto Arvelo
Dreaming about the death of his mother, whom he has not seen in years, Romer returns to the mountains where he grew up, and is led towards a heartbreaking silent encounter where the past returns in waves. Filmed in the Venezuelan Andes, this multiple award-winning film (shown at numerous international film festivals) portrays the life of a peasant community which since the 17th century has been trying to preserve its customs, language and dignity.

The film was very simple yet bursting with subtle details like the braids on the bridle, the Virgin Mary statue at a dirty corner of the hovel, and the house in the mountains set in a stark plain. It is amazing how a picture does indeed tell a thousand words. The film doesn�t get our hearts pumping, rather it slows it down to a point that is most uncomfortable as it made me think about how lucky and spoilt we all are in our technology driven world. The characters� life was so simple and uncomplicated. Questions are kept to the minimum, no whiny kids and no tire changes. At some level, I do wish for such a simple life where work is hard labour and pride. But I know I wouldn�t be able to live such a life after knowing what I know now. Ignorant is bliss. I look at my cousins back in my hometown and what they want in life is alien from my wants. Most of them are blissfully happy with a husband and children. That is the purpose of their life � a family. For me, having my own family is like eons ahead, at least until I�m stable in my career. I want to have a separate bank account from my spouse and having kids scares the beejeezes out of me. =P What am I?

Opps I forgot. I got a pedicure! About time I tried one I should think. Zona and I had an hour to kill before we had to leave for the movie so we decided to try a pedicure when we ambled past the store. It was great. My toes have never felt so clean and smooth in a long time. I almost didn't wanted to put on my shoes coz they might make my newly scrub toes dirty. But I had to wear my shoes. Darn it! =P

No comments: