Monday, September 29, 2003

With a sword or a bow,

Orlando Bloom cuts a swath through movie fans. The best scene was of course the fight scene between Cpt. Jack Sparrow and Will Turner at the blacksmith's. 'Twas most entertaining to be witness to such spectacular skills and stunts. It wasn't overblown but rather kept light enough to appreciate the wits that went into its creation, but exciting enough to keep the audiences engaged.

The music score wasn't bad either. I love how the beat was insync with the clashes of the swords. The score is slightly similar to Gladiator's but it is more towards actions instead of emotions. The accord between the actors and the characters is endearing as those two clashed physically and verbally. Some of the lines were shot full of puns and sadly not many people in the audience caught on.

Johnny Depp is of course as usual, a chimera. His role as the swashbuckling Captain Jack Sparrow, ex-Captain of The Black Pearl, is quite amiable, witty and wily. The way he enunciates his words were almost pseudoaristocratic, but in a charming way. And Kiera Knightley has come a comely way since her soccer stint in 'Bend it like Beckham'. Trading in her soccer boots for a parasol doesn't seem to have fazed that lovely virago... unfair. =)

And the special effects... catch me if I swoon... were quite revealingly breath holding. Ye gods, the last fight scene was the best in SFX - the undead was gruesomely exposed under the full moon and the kinetics of the transitions between the living and the dead was amazing. I wonder how they did that. It couldn't have been easy with such rapid movements required and to match the actors real live movements... nice.

I really enjoyed Pirates of the Caribbean and I'm going to get a copy of it. Some might wonder why I'm so enthusiastic about this movie as most would say it was just 'okay'. I like it because it's fun and funny, simple and it reminds me of my childhood fantasies.

No comments: