Sunday, April 18, 2004

This one is for you, papa.

Had my first taste of scuba diving today. Went for a pool session in KL and by gosh, I had a blast! I've always wanted to scuba dive but I never got the chance until now. There were some parts I didn't know about, but it wasn't hard to learn. Seriously, the basic is quite easy but of course there are the cardinal rules and all like never use your BCD to float up, but swim up if you don't want to rupture your eardrums, don't take a full lung of air when ascending if you don't want to rupture your lungs. Hmm... everything is about pressure underwater methinks.

That first puff of air underwater was interesting to say the least, startling in fact and I never thought breathing underwater, from an tank filled with atmospheric air could be so easy. The hard part was controlling the buoyancy. Breathing in you fill float, breathing out you sink. It is hard trying to hover - where you just stay in one spot, neither going up nor down - I tried to hover properly, but everytime I relax I tipped backwards, prompting my hands and legs to flail wildly to keep upright. Weird. My tank can't be that heavy. Gan, my instructor says that when it's in sea water, the tank will float up, but since this is a pool, the tank will sink. Okay, I get that. But what I don't get is me tipping backwards, when others didn't. My balance is sooo off. Eeek.

I really enjoyed myself learning how to dive. I can't wait for the next pool session next week!

This was arranged by Tom, El-Presidente of TJJ. Zona and Aqmal are learning how to dive too! Way cool. We will be going for our open water dives in Pulau Perhentian, come May 1st!

Weird, I feel as though I'm actually floating now, like I'm still in the water. ^__^

No comments: