Monday, December 06, 2004

Sea-faring emotions

Been to the beach and back...

Went to Pangkor for the day on Saturday with Tom, Shani, Wai Kong, Michael and Jayme. The first four went diving (lucky devils) and since I can't dive with my ear stuffed up, I went to veg-out on the beach with Jaymee. We stayed in a RM10 a night budget dorm room in Lumut and took the ferry over to the island the next day. We then took a taxi to Teluk Nipah but I was sorely disappointed with the condition.

There was a narrow stripe of sand FULL of Malay families and Chinese yuppies running around and yelling at the top of their energetic lungs. I was appalled. How an I relax on a beach like this? So we went further to Coral Bay and blessedly, it was quiet... until noon when a bunch of young chinese yuppies came and showed how healthy their lungs were when they wre zipped around in the banana boat. Since there were so many of them, they took turns, and we had to put up with an hour of very loud squeals and hooing and hahaing and worse of all, the "Oi Oi Oi" when they fought to get on the yellow floaty thing first.

Strangely enough, this noise pollution bothered me to the point of anger and I seldom get really angry. So we rented a kayak and kayaked out to sea to another tiny island nearby. Hah. THAT island too was full of neon life-jacketed adults of the same audio capabilities. We bypassed that island, which incidentally has a lone Ramli burger stall on it. Good idea since those neon bumble bees' only accessed to anything remotely tasty was a boat ride away.

We kayaked out further and we saw three patches of sand along the coast, two was taken but the furthest one was not. We dug dip into the green liquid and paddled our way over and beached the kayak on the soft beach. We found a haven, just the two of us, and no irritating yelling. We couldn't even hear a single yell from the beach. It was blissful. There we whiled away the afternoon and snorkled a little (nothing much to see though, Pangkor what... except for sea cucumbers and spiky sea urchins).

It was a lazy half an hour before we had to kayak back as I could see the currents getting stronger and I didn't want to get caught in one flowing out to sea, especially with a partner who didn't know how to kayak despite having a cert from a kayaking course. Go figure. I didn't even know she had a cert, coz she acted like she didnt know how to kayak. Anyway, kayaking back was harder as the currents WERE pulling us in the opposite direction. Thank god we got back to the beach no worse for wear, though my arms were killing me. I didn't tell Jaymee though, she was already waning from the first leg of the journey.

So yeah, I got burned, esp my shoulders and thighs (kayaking). Stupid me, I didn't slop on my sun block properly and as a result some parts of my shoulders are RED and there's this two stripes of red on the top of my cleavage! And right now the skin is itching like crazy. Then knowing I was gonna go kayaking amidst the reflecting rays from the water, I still didn't put on more sun block! Shesh... BUT at least I did slop on some on my face... *phew*

So yeah, I'm slightly tanner now. =)

Evening came and the rest of the gang picked us up at the jetty and we stayed overnight in Lumut, in an apartment next to the jetty and the waterfront. We initially wanted to stay in Teluk Batik but the rental costs were ridiculous. In the end we ended up at Blue Bay Resort which was more reasonable for 6 people. Next day we drove home at noon and stopped over in Klang for Bak Kuh Teh... this is actually my second time tasting this dish. Uh huh... second. Taste okay loh. Can't tell the difference. =P

No comments: