Thursday, June 17, 2004

Fuelling my violent nature with Kendo

I went to join a Kendo class last night at Japan Club KL but was told that they have intakes now and the next one is on July 3rd. Instead I sat on the sidelines and watch how people dressed in full armor attacked each other ferociously with bamboo sticks - shinai - whilst stamping their feet and bellowing at the top of their lungs at the same time. I was most impressed as it was an amazing sight and sound to behold, especially the senseis - there were four of them. Their moves were beautifully executed with very confident snap to their blows. The sound generated when each blow connects to the headgear - called men - must be deafening for them when the shinai snaps against the facemask. I can just imagine the reverberating sound every time a blow connects from a bamboo weapon. The protective equipment: the men, kote and do, protects the wearer from these painful blows, they are also places which to score points. Anywhere else is not a valid point and considered bad showmanship. The men as I've mentioned is the top of the head, the kote is the right wrist, and the do is the abdomen.

I watched Richard go through the sparring and I can't help but feel sorry for him. He's very tall therefore more vulnerable to shorter opponents who uses his height to their advantage. But then since he is tall and big, he also has an advantage, as he is strong enough to push his opponent away from him and strike his men once there is distance gained. I'm big, so I'll have to use the same tactics.

After sitting through that 2 hour session, I cannot help but be most impressed and determine to take up Kendo. It's a very demanding sport - as in demanding patience. I won't get to wear full armor until 5 months later. Meanwhile I am to practice my strokes and forward and backward movement - the right feet must always be in front.

It is such a ferocious art in the sense that you have to be aggressive and start whacking your opponent as many times as you can on the valid points. Then there is the yelling and the stamping - that was quite intimidating, but enjoyable for the yeller methinks. Think about how much stress you can release by taking up a bamboo stick and start whacking at something, yelling on top of your lungs and stamping your feet to boot. =p

No comments: