Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Egg yolk is good for the soul...

Vijay took me out to dinner to celebrate my birthday and he gave me two choices. Restaurant X or Minangkabau food. I chose to be adventurous so I chose the latter choice. He took me to Natrabu, a Minangkabau restaurant on the side of Sentral Station's car park. On sight, it looks like any other mamak-like place, but if you lean in closer, you'd see horns on the waiters and waitresses - they were dressed in the traditional Minangkabau garb - I found the uniforms nice and quite authentic looking too.

The place wasn't empty nor was it full. There were only five other parties there and we were the sixth. *WHOooooo* Haha, kidding. We were seated and presented with our menus. The first thing that went through my head was "Interesting..." The food had weird names but thank god there were descriptions beneath each bolded sentence. We got lost in translation =p so we asked the waiter to recommend the good dishes. He recommended we accepted.

The food came and I reached over to take the first strip of brinjal/eggplant smothered in red santan-like sauce. I tasted it and my taste buds exploded in enjoyment. It was GOOD. Then there were the roast chicken with special santan (santan - coconut milk) sauce, the prawns smothered in santan sauce and 'petai', and of course the leaves in santan milk. I forget what the leaves thingies are. BUT the food was superb. I would definitely recommend that you guys go try the food at Natrabu. But be warned, don't try to be smart like me and order the "Kopi susu telor". I was feeling adventurous and all, so I accepted Vijay's offered suggestion that I try that. The taste was interesting and I can tell you that my taste buds did not explode in ecstasy. It was egg-y. Apparently they mixed raw egg yolks in with the coffee and milk. I spent half and hour after dinner trying not to throw up! Must have been the Nescafe coffee... ;)

All in all, I had a good time. Estella and Jaymee were supposed to join us at Souled Out for line dancing, but it was kinda late so they took a rain check, and there were NO line dancing anymore. =( So Vij and I just stayed awhile for a drink and a chat, then 'cabut' when it got a little later.

Thanks Vij, for the fantastic birthday dinner!

No comments: