Sunday, July 17, 2005

Drunken stupor evaporates with discovery of a burglary

That was me during the wee hours of Sunday morning.

Estella and I went clubbing on Saturday night at 12SI and when we got back to her car in the parking area at around 4am, we noticed that her car door wasn't tightly shut. We didn't think anything of it as it was locked. Then we got into the car and I opened the glove compartment to get my house keys. They were gone.

I searched for it and it was no where to be found and I knew I put them into the glove compartment as I always do. Estella then noticed that her handbag was gone as well. We search the car and we discovered that my house keys, her purse, ID and cards, and her house keys were gone. The thieves however, didn't take the money in the coins compartment, her detachable stereo, or her CDs. The only things gone were personal stuff which can only mean that the thieves mean to break in to her or my house. That or Estella has a stalker.

Although we weren't drunk or staggering, there were enough alcohol in us to make driving a careless and dangerous act. Estella wanted me to drive as I wasn't as incapacitated as her but I didn't dare as I was not familiar with the roads and it was 4am in the morning where cops are on the prowl for a quick buck. She couldn't drive either. So we stayed in the car and slept. At least she slept. I was too nervous and worried to sleep. I kept waking up every few minutes to check that no one was looking into the car or waiting for us at the back. I would tense at every sound or voice. I kept opening the car door to check if all is clear as well as to let more cool air in - the car was getting stuffy despite the slight opening of our windows. I know I'm a paranoid person, but that was how I was taught to be. To be careful and to question everything. What I'm kicking myself for is not questioning Estella's action of not locking her things in the boot of her car instead of leaving things in plain sight. Even though her bag was under the seat, the thieves would have been tempted to see what else was in her car with so many things thrown in the back seat.

After two hours, Estella woke up and she was clearer. We debated on what to do. She didn't want to go to the police station straight away as that would invite more questions as we reeked of cigarette smoke and alcohol, as we all are after emerging from a club. We are all aware of how our security forces work here and there are not known to be fair or genuinely concern, rather they are known more for their corrupted practices and extortion.

The next day, I accompanied her to the police station in PJ state. She filed that she dropped her purse instead of her car being burglarised.

I hope this won't come back to haunt us.

No comments: