Monday, October 27, 2003

We will miss you, Hon Hiew.

I just got shocking news that Hon Hiew, my Multimedia Lecturer in Curtin passed away last saturday, the 25th October 2003. Hon suffered from a congenital heart condition which led to his passing. I never knew he was sick, he never gave the slightest indication that he was sick. He was a quiet and reserved man, yet he was always friendly and helpful with all his students. We could always go to him for anything. Last year when my laptop's CD-ROM started acting up and the programmes went crazy, I took it to Hon to have a look-over. He helped me then and he has helped me several times as the semester progressed. I remember the time he gave his first lecture in 2001, his voice was all shaky and he was sweating buckets, but he bravely finished the lecture. He had since then gained a lot more confidence so much so that he was made a lecturer in Curtin by the end of the year. Hon Hiew is one of my favourite lecturers and my gosh, it is a blow to Curtin to lose such a fine young man. He was only 29 years old. There will be a funeral service held on Thursday, 30th October 2003.

I was in shock when I read my email and I really couldn't believe such news. But I do admit that I felt a premonition when I saw the title "Fwd: Hon Hiew". I began searching the internet for any kind of news about Hon Hiew and I found this weblog that confirmed my fears. In Michael's blog entry, he gave his readers a link to Hon's weblog. I wish I had known about his weblog a long time ago, but judging from the dates on the side, it seems that he just started blogging. He did have an earlier site that was his online protfolio, it's pretty good.

It is hard to imagine that Hon is gone, his life snuffed away just like that. Hon Hiew was a great lecturer and a great friend, and he will be missed by many who came under his tutelage.

You will be missed, Hon Hiew.


No comments: