Sunday, April 10, 2005

Life is short, all the more for a dog

Patches' ladyfriend got run over by a car last week. I feel heartbroken when my mom told me how heartbroken Patches was. He used to share all his meals with her and one day she just stopped coming. He ate half and left the other half for her. He waited by his bowl and he barked over the fence calling her. He slept by his bowl the whole night. But she never came.

Next morning, the roadside sweeper came to my neighbour's gate and told them that there is a small white dog's body a little further down the main road. She was knocked down and died alone. We do not know if she died instantly or if she suffered. Such a small dog. I feel so sad.

I remember the last time I saw her during CNY, she had already accepted my touch . She used to jumped in between the fence and over to our side to be with Patches. Some mornings, I even found her curled up next to Patches. My neighbours don't tie her up, nor do they cage her. She was free to go wherever she wanted and she didn't have a collar. I don't know why. It was so adorable to see her hop onto the flower pots in order to get high enough to jump over or in between the fence separating my house from my neighbours.

My heart ache for Patches. He lost a friend.

No comments: