Sunday, March 04, 2007

Olives fete with feta

I've been living in olives heaven last weekend, thanks to my cousin Tze Min! She read my blog about my insane obsession with olives and olives costing a ridiculous amount of bullion here in Malaysia, and so she sent back a care package of wonderful yummy olives when my sister was in London last week!

Lord, the ones with coriander and pepper was absolutely mouth-wateringly luscious... especially with olive oil, rosemary and feta cheese. Thinking and writing about it now is positively making my saliva glands working over-time.

*sigh* If you don't know what are olives and would like to know more. Check out The Olive Tree World for more reading pleasure.

I prefer the green olives as they have a stronger taste, the black olives are milder and usually used in salads and pizzas. The green olives are usually allowed to ferment before being packed in brine and this is what makes the green olives tastier, especially when pitted with pimento and eaten as hors d'oeuvre with cheese.

We do not get much choices of olives here in Malaysia as apparently it's an acquired taste, according to some. I can't imagine anyone not liking olives to be honest. I mean what is there not to like? Hmm... my mom and sister went to Turkey once, one of top five country producing olives, and brought back Lays potato chips in Olives flavour and it really tasted like olives. Too bad we can't find it in other places except in olive producing countries. They didn't have the olive flavour in Perth for some reason - Australia does cultivate olive plants.

Did you know that the olive tree is one of the earliest cited plants in literature history? And olive plants can grow and live for a very long time. There is one olive tree in Crete that is known to be 2,000 years old and another 1,636 years old on the island of Brijuni. (Source: Wikipedia.com)

Anyway, I'm gonna get back to my olives fete. Cheers everyone and long live the Olive.

No comments: