Monday, March 27, 2006

A day of breaking a vow and an entire toe nail

My colleague thought my bandaged foot wasn't obvious enough...

I almost lost my big toe nail this morning. I was rushing when I kicked the step, HARD. The next 5 minutes saw me screwing my eyes shut with pain and swearing the air blue, black and purple. When I could think through the pain, I realised that my palm was wet. I looked down and gasped! My injured big toe had it's nail standing up 30 degrees from the nail bed! F*CK! And there was so much blood, it was surreal. I panicked and quickly pushed the nail back down! I seriously forgot about the pain in my shock of seeing my toe nail not in place. But then the moment I pushed it back down, I said a very bad word, very loud and repeatedly smashed my fist into the bed, until the pain became bearable.

Actually I was quite fascinated with my loose toe nail. I could lift the bloody thing right up and push it back down, which I did once and swore the air blue again. After that, I did it again and trickled a stream of antiseptic into the cavern. But when I pushed the nail bad down into its bed, another bucketload of blood and antiseptic soaked the tissue under it and my bed again.

So I wrapped my turning-blue big toe up with gauze and went to work. Had a meeting in 20 mins too. Later the doc said that luckily I pushed the nail back down or else it would have dropped right off when the blood dried. As it is, my nail has managed to fuse back into its nail bed. I just need time to let it fuse back and heal properly. It's still a little loose.

I didn't have proper footwear and had to fork out money at Vincci for a pair of flip-flops! I couldn't find anything else elsewhere and I can't be traipsing up and down the mall doing so. Can't believe I just bought a Vincci shoe, coz there goes my vow of never ever buying a Vincci shoe since 1999! Bloody freaking toe!

No comments: