Saturday, December 01, 2007

I'm finally a REAL public speaker

Haha, no la. I just gave a briefing yesterday to a bumch of people.

Actually, I gave a briefing to 214 foreign media from all over the world at Renaissance Hotel last evening. The foreign media were flown in by Tourism Malaysia and they gave Starhill Gallery a slot to present something on A Journey Through Time. And of course, Starhill Gallery nominated yours truly to go up there on stage to present the briefing. We were given 10 minutes to do this.

The day prior to the briefing, Thursday, I was calm and controlled. I prepared a briefing deck and I prepared a press release complete with fact sheet and the schedule that was distributed before the presentation. I wore a suit and I had a laser pointer. I even prepared a script for myself.

Haha, the moment I stepped on stage, I couldn't see anything on my script. It was nothing but jumbles of lines that I didn't have time to look and read. So I did my presentation off the cuff! Whatever info I had in my head, which was A LOT, it all came out. My voice shook and I just said whatever I thought was relevant and interesting to the media.

I was initially told that I'd be presenting to foreign media from around the region only as that was the list I provided MOTOUR with. However, yesterday, when I arrived for the event, I noticed a lot of blond heads, sharp noses and frekled cheeks, and I didn't think much about it as there were other functions nearby. Imagine my surprise, when all those blond heads started filing in to MOTOUR's designated room and sat down. I later found out that the media were from the US, Germany, China, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Australia, France, Indonesia, Hong Kong & Korea. OMIGAWD.

Anyway, I was told that I did fine by my PR Superior and my interns (who were cheering for me; they are so cute) and that the media sat up and took notice when I presented my stuff. Apparently, some was sleeping in the back when other presentations were going on. What more, during my presso, there was some technical difficulties and they couldn't play my informercial! That was horrid, when the infomercial was the best part of my presso. Instead, I read out one of the tactical ad copy to them and after that, I could see that more media sat up.

"To create a giant clock called the stonehenge, men dragged 240 tonnes of rock with their bare hands.

Now, see timepieces which took even more effort."


I am really glad that I did this. I'm glad I didn't chicken out and that I'd gathered my courage and I went ahead and did it. It feels damn good.

But then it didn't feel so good AFTER coz I got a massive headache from the adrenaline rush.... =P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Comrade! Never doubted you before, not even for a moment. Smile and be on your way. Forget me not when you are famous :)