Sunday, August 06, 2006

Bouyantly happy with my bouyancy


The reason I love the sea I cannot explain -- it's physical. When you dive you begin to feel like an angel. It's a liberation of your weight. ~ Jacques-Yves Cousteau ~


Finally got the chance to get away from the rat race last weekend. So I went diving with Leonard and Wai Kong at Redang last weekend. We drove all night and reached KT just as the sun rose. Estella and Jaymee went to sunbathe and snorkle.

Even though we didn't see any whale sharks this time, diving is always goooood. *grin*

It was a pretty good getaway even though we only managed to do 5 dives in 2 days. Saw my first lion fish, couple of turtles, a 2-metre long sting ray, moray eel, nudubranches, cleaner shrimp, a Black Tip, and an EMPEROR angelfish! How exciting is that?! These are the ones I'm excited about seeing. Of course there were plenty of other marine life as well but it would take me ages to list them ALL down. But the bottom collage is just some of the interesting marine life we encountered. Awesome creatures, they are...


I'm pretty stoked that my bounyancy control has improved much and I've reduced my weight from 4kg to 3kg! Need to tell Tom soon! I can even hover upside down, on my head as well. Hee hee... HAD to do hover upside down when I was trying to peek into a crevice to spot the shy and illusive lion fish.


Met my mom and a whole big bunch of relatives and cousins (who came back to Malaysia for a reunion) there in Redang as well. They of course stayed in Laguna (only the most expensive resort on Redang) and I stayed in Redang Pelangi Resort (only one of the cheapest resort there). Sis and the kids were there too, but I couldn't really spend much time with them as I only got to see them between dives and of course for dinner.

The water is still clear but we noticed that there are actually discarded fishing nets at Pulau Ling. There was one spanning 3 metres that got snagged and tangled amongst the corals, killing the corals that it was blanketing! WTF man! We wanted to cut it out but our dive master said that they will having a clean up dive soon.


We also saw tourists going around with a huge black bag picking up rubbish from the beaches! WTF again! How embarassing is that? Tourists who value our beaches more than we do. How difficult can it be NOT TO LITTER? Those who has the nerve to throw or leave their water bottles and plastic wrappings on the sand should be fined or given some sort of penalty. If you cannot control yourself from littering, STAY off the islands. Go back to your own homes and be a pig there!

There was a also boisterous group of yuppies Malaysians who were making a nuisance of themselves. First, they took up the ENTIRE beach in front of Pelangi and second, they were bloody noisy with their hoots and wooing and booing whilst playing games. Not only that, they dug deep holes in the sand and didn't cover it up. I saw one elderly lady stumble into one of those holes at night! But she caught herself from falling on her face. Idiots.

Yes I'm incensed that adults, not children because they don't know any better, have no respect for nature. Our beautiful islands are a legacy that is worth protecting and cherishing because there is no where else in the world like it. The ecosystem in Redang may not be as fragile as Sipadan or as bountiful and beautiful, Redang is still a gem of an island that needs to be protected. That goes the same for Perhentian and Lang Tengah as well.

If you're one of those people who thinks nothing of throwing your rubbish "outside", or think of the sea like your personal shopping mall, just do nature a favour and stay away.

Rant session over. And back to being happy about my bouyancy control. =)

No comments: