Friday, February 10, 2006

PGLtM - A Malaysian musical worth watching over and over



Thanks to TV Smith, Zona, Nas & I and a bunch of other (famous) bloggers got to go to see the much awaited Puteri Gunung Ledang Musical at Istana Budaya during the media preview night.



I have to admit that I strolled into the theater with low expectations and emerged star-strucked and awed that we actually have very talented people who pulled this off almost to the likes of Andrew Llyod Webber's calibre if not better. What better musical to see in Malaysia that is of one of our own history than that of a foreign one.



Wow... If you haven't seen PGLtM, I strongly urge you not to miss this chance to indulge in a night of heart-wrenching music, splendid costumes, and cauldron of talents in this tragic tale of love unfulfilled. For now, I will leave you with pictures taken by TV. I will complete my review over the weekend.



--------

Review continues...

The network might be working against me here by kicking me out of the system every few minutes thereby deleting my review a few paragraphs after I start. This is most annoying. Anyway, thinking back four nights ago, I'm still struck with admiration for the producers and cast of PGLtM for pulling this off.

I'm not going to talk about the story of PGL in detail except that this is a love story about a tragic tale between two lovers from two different land who came together unexpectedly and torn apart when one partner did not hold strong and true. Ironicly, its the man who failed his love by not going against his Sultan but then what is a lowly Laksamana to do? Bah.

Story aside, what struck me most (and the most enjoyable) was the score. Dick Lee made me feel awe when Scene 2 started with Tiara singing Impian Seorang Puteri. My first thought was "Wah, that woman can sing!" And Datin Seri Tiara Jacquelina can sure sing. When Stephen started his solo scene, I think all the women in the crowd waited to be blown away and I can honestly say that I was, by the power and emotions floating out of our hero's mouth. I like the fact that he didn't force the notes out and took it easy on the high notes, but no less powerful. He reminded me of Gerard Butler's rendition of the Phamtom of The Opera pain-filled songs in the caverns.

The music peaked at Scene 7 when Gusti Puteri Raden Ajeng Retno Dumila (phew) and our handsome Datuk Laksamana Hang Tuah sang out their love and heartbreak at Gunung Ledang, and where she angrily gave the seven stipulations to the marriage offer of the Sultan of Melaka. I felt my heart catch at the hearbreak clearly sung by the talented Tiara. The entire score was so good catchy (!) that I can't wait to get my hands on the musical CD which they say will be available next week. But the catch is that you'll have to drive down to Istana Budaya to get the CDs as they aren't selling it anywhere else at the time.



Another (expected) good singer is of course the almost-local-looking Stephen Rahman-Hughes. Initially he was delivering his lines with the quite discernable qwai-lo accent but thankfully that soon gave way to a better / natural sounding lilt of the old tongue. I read in Kosmo that our almost-local boy here had pronounciation lessons and now he can even relate directions to taxi drivers. Well done, Stephen.



Another good point of this musical is the props and backdrops. The best backdrop had to be the Gates of the Melaka palace. The massiveness of the carved doors was just breathtaking. The props of the changing palace of Majapahit / cliffs/ gunung ledang on wheels were ingenious! I love the fact that they were so versatile that you can use them in various scenes depicting different landscapes. Kudos to Pat Gui, the Production / Stage Manager.

Although AC MIzal portrayed the princess's brother admirably as he sings okay, I thought that he should have at least gone for some serious sun-tanning coz for a King who is topless 24/7, he sure looks like pat champ kai (pastey). His brown nipples were fighting for attention with his brown sarong and they almost look decorative. Actually the ensemble for the guys wearing the Majapahit costumes too should be tanner at least. Anyway, just a thought.

While I am thankful that the producers made an effort to cater to people who didn't understand the language with English subtitles, it was a horrible decision to put the electronic sign at the top of the theater with people sitting below and right beneath it having to angle their necks back just to read it. Of course at that angle, the words were distorted. Not only that, but whoever was timing the subtitles sucked at this job. Keep up, man!

I have to say that once I stop thinking about the irritating negatives of the musical, I was able to totally enjoy myself.

Also another note to the producers: Whose idea was it to sell replicas of the costumes and armbands by Zang Toi at the show... I hate you. Who on earth can afford Zang Toi's stuff at a local musicals with prices like those? Poor broke me... I can only afford to buy the music CD.

No comments: