Thursday, October 14, 2004

Triggered

God, what a start to my day. Here I am trying to type whilst my frame is still slightly shaky from the incident/accident. I came in later than usual today coz I just couldn't wake up (I was dreaming but I don't remember the dream now) so I was late today. Fine. Then, I came in to work, dumped my stuff on the table, switched on my computer and then realised that no one had bothered to switched on the aircon in the room, as usual. I knew that the remote control that is supposed to be on my desk was locked in somebody's office, so I had to switched it on manually - need long small tip to push the on/off switch under the cover. I learned this manual switching on thing from Leonard, who has been doing it the past one week already. Lord, the moment I stepped put down the cover, the wires connecting to the aircon fizzled with a lot of loud sparks and bursted into flames! Phoomph! Just like that! I think screamed but I don't remember doing so, and I know I said "SHIT" very loudly when I saw the flames. I remember ducking down when I saw the sparks coming at me and quickly scrambled down from the chair. Straightaway the electricity tripped and we were engulfed in darkness with the wires still flaming but it fizzled out after 5 seconds. There were some acrid smelling smoke and I started shivering when what happened sunk in. Bloody freakin' hell. Of course everybody came to see what happened and I had to explain what happened. God, I feel so embarassed. I triggered the darn accident. They asked me if I had used the remote control or switched it on manually and they actually made an issue out of it! As if it would be any different! The wires bursted into flames, not the air-conditoner! Lord, when I think about how close my head was to the flame, I shudder. If that burst of flame was any bigger, I would have been burned, singed the least. Shit. That was close.

The fire bell didn't even ring. The trigger was only two feet away, and the bell was next to the aircon's flaming wire.

The fire bell didn't ring.

No comments: