Saturday, May 14, 2005

A sense of national pride

My sister and I sent our other sister to Sentral Station and on the way back we took a turning that led us to KL . Apparently the road back to the roundabout and the train station was blocked off.

Anyway, on our way back we passed Dataran Merdeka and what I saw there imbused me with a sense of national pride. I saw our Jalur Gemilang at full mast at the top of the huge flag pole, snapping regally away in the strong wind. It must have been the effects of the spotlights and the wind that made it look so regal up there so high out of our reach. There was this sense of amazement and pride when I saw our Malaysian flag, which must have easily been 30 feet high, snapping so cheerfully up there. It was awe I tell you, awe. An emotion that I've not felt in relation to my citizenship in a very long time.

I could not help but glance back from time to time as our car pulled away from the junction. I never knew we even had such a huge flag pole there, much less a 30 footer Jalur Gemilang!!

Wow, I'm becoming more aware of my connection to this mother land bit by bit. I wished I had a camera then. I would love to have you all see what I saw then, as it was a vision I hope that future generations will not forsake.

No comments: